Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Leaning Barn

It's true to its name.

Dan Alexander turned out to be much more than a blacksmith. And I'm not merely talking about how the modern blacksmith is versatile and will usually take on anything from a fabrication job to a hand forged trellis to a repair job on a cast iron bell (Tim Beachley did the last one). I'm talking about how Dan put together his own jet-engine, built his own solar heating system, is fabricating his own gun, and is now making a clock for the house he is building.

Coming from a scientific background even he said that there is no connection between what he did and what he has been doing for the past fourteen years. Working in shop today with Dan was Allan, a religious studies major in college turned sculptor. He was encouraging, saying that he's been through a few recessions and has found there will always be a market for custom iron work. I pray that he's right.

Within this leaning barn that used to house horses and hay was one piece of equipment that begged your attention, the giant blue plasma cutter sitting in the corner. It was a beast, and supposedly is as expensive as you might think. In other news I have started making my Christmas wish list.. In due time I'll be sending it north, first class on the Polar Express..


This train blocked the path to Reed's Market in Lehighton where I picked up some food for the morning. Dark and early tomorrow I'll be heading to Hamburg, PA to meet with David Fisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment