Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Smorgasbord

Even though I have been blogging everyday I feel as though I am behind on what I want to share. This blog and the next few might be somewhat of a smorgasbord of pictures, captions and thoughts.

Finding myself under the weather in Savannah, literally (it was raining, gusting wind and cold), I hiked up to Charleston a day earlier than had planned:


While at the John C. Campbell I had the chance to collaborate with Anne, a clay sculptor. Anne was from Florida and was building a miniature bird house and needed a plant hanger for the outside of her house. The hanger that I made is barely visible but if you look closely it is to the left of the doorway.


Our class created a lot of plant hangers as a way of practicing the fundamental techniques of making a sharp corner, scrolling, tapering, and attaching by using strap hinges. This is the second of my two hangers. In my next post you will be able to see some of my classmates'.



Traveling from the mountains of North Carolina to the lowlands of the Georgian coast I decided to swing into an antique store (an antique junk-yard might be a more apt description). Sitting there in the open were three blacksmithing/post vices. The proper vice for blacksmithing has a leg that extends to the floor so to allow the shock to be absorbed not only by the "latch" attaching it to a table but by the ground. I believe this vice is of English make and is about three to four feet tall. I haggled this puppy down to fifty dollars..

No comments:

Post a Comment