Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hartford


I find myself on the campus of Trinity College located in Hartford, Connecticut. The lights are on in Northam tower and the continuous building looming over the quad. One can only imagine the windows being lit by candles in the summer time, flickering with the whims of the winds caught in the trees on the lawn..

As I explained in a letter to a sculpture professor at RISD, the thing that draws me most to blacksmithing is the ability to create organic form out of something so static as steel. To be able to create a leaf or even a fluid natural structure out of a square piece of 3/8th stock is exciting. What allures me is the challenge and the process. Already I am beginning to draw more, to put those processes from mind to paper.


I am staying with a friend, Kat. She's the one manifesting light in her hand. No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment