Monday, February 9, 2009

Providence

Definition: a manifestation of divine care or direction.

Alicia gave me the grand tour of RISD today. The school is really something else. Set upon a hill, upon a river the school retains a student population so alive it is as if the campus has a pulse. On campus, you can tell that somewhere, somehow creativity is constantly manifesting.

The most poignant advice I received today was from a guy named Brian. Before RISD he worked with a photographer for two years. He told me, "If you want to learn specific skills, it is better to do it elsewhere. You will eventually learn them here, but its not the same." And with that, it started a thought process that is still turning like cars on a roundabout searching for an exit. Perhaps I might spend some time smithing and exploring different avenues of metal working. Perhaps then I'll find myself at an art school learning the fine points of design.

When it happens, when something happens, when a choice is made, when the cars find an exit, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment